(Stamford, CT – October 3, 2011) – Chelsea Piers Connecticut (CPCT) announces Natalie Grainger as Director of Squash. Grainger has been a dominant fixture in the squash world since turning pro in 1996 at age 18. Throughout her 15-year professional career, Grainger won dozens of tournaments, rising in 2003 to be the #1 squash player in the world. She is currently ranked #1 in the US. Grainger is also a leader and ambassador for the sport having served for eight years as the President of the Women’s International Squash Players Association (WISPA). She currently also serves as a US National coach.
In her role as Director of Squash at Chelsea Piers, Grainger will be responsible for hiring top-level squash professionals and developing Fairfield County’s dynamic squash programming. Programming will include beginner to advanced level instruction, private lessons, leagues, elite team training, camps, clinics and more. In addition, CPCT intends to host high-level tournaments and competitions throughout the year.
With twelve professional quality courts (11 singles and 1 doubles), the Squash Club at Chelsea Piers Connecticut will be one of the largest private squash facilities in the Northeast. In addition to its 12 courts, the club will feature member locker rooms, a pro shop with stringing facilities, a comfortable lounge and unparalleled viewing areas. CPCT will also feature 7 indoor tennis courts in its Tennis Center. Grainger will also serve as overall director for racquet sports at Chelsea Piers.
“Grainger is seen by many as one of the great female squash players in the history of the sport,” commented Mollie Marcoux, Executive Director of CPCT. “She grew up watching her parents teach and has competed and coached at the highest level. Her depth of knowledge, dynamic personality and passion for the game will be a great asset to the program.”
“Chelsea Piers represents quality and authenticity in sports and programming,” said Grainger. “The facilities for squash and tennis at Chelsea Piers Connecticut are unmatched in the area and I look forward to introducing kids to the sport as well as helping adults further their game.”
ABOUT CHELSEA PIERS CONNECTICUT
Chelsea Piers Connecticut (CPCT) is a 400,000-sq-ft state-of-the-art sports and recreation facility located in Stamford, CT, just off I-95 at Exit 9. Slated to open in June 2012, Chelsea Piers Connecticut will consist of seven core sports facilities encompassing more than 18 sports.
• The Rinks – Twin rink skating facility for ice hockey and figure skating
• Aquatics Center – Olympic-sized pool, warm water instructional and exercise pool, and 6,000 sq-ft water play area featuring three giant slides
• Gymnastics Training Center – 15,000 sq-ft gymnastics training space with a recreational trampoline center and cheerleading program
• Baseball and Softball Training Facility – Indoor turf infield and five batting cages
• Field House – Indoor 100-yard turf field for soccer, lacrosse, football, field hockey, softball and baseball; hardwood courts for basketball and volleyball; and a 1/5-mile track.
• Squash Center – Squash Center with 12 courts
• Tennis Center – Tennis Center with seven indoor tennis courts
Like Chelsea Piers New York, CPCT will combine athletic facilities with an extensive array of professional instructors and league programs for youths, teens and adults.
In addition to these sport offerings, CPCT will also be home to:
• Childcare facility and preschool – Small class sizes, certified teachers and use of the sports facilities at CPCT
• Food Service – Food service, event spaces, and catering throughout the facility
• Pro Shop – An on-site pro shop for equipment needs